The Don’ts of Emailing/Messaging and Why You Didn’t Get a Reply

This blog post is not intended to come across as jaded but I get a lot of emails and messages requesting information and services without any real thought or courtesy to the services YouRockRed and just I, as a working professional, should reply to.

  1. Don’t send Facebook messages to people you don’t know requesting services or to book your band. This is a pet peeve for most industry. They tell you to send your request to your designated email address, not facebook. I won’t follow up with it if it’s not flagged in my gmail and quite frankly, I enjoy having my weekends off (aside from going to shows).
  2. Don’t ask for free advice or to pick my brain. Good consulting is not free. Expect to pay. Our time is highly guarded as we are such busy people with our own regular clients.
  3. Don’t message if you don’t live in Canada. My speciality is in Canadian music industry.
  4. Seriously, just like online dating, you’d look at the profile of a potential mate to determine if you have anything in common. If you notice in past clients that I have never worked with hip hop, EDM or country musicians there could be a reason why.
  5. If you do send an email unrelated to my services but expect to be given a label or management client because we met briefly at a show or conference, re-consider. I’ve got a ton of clients demanding things from me daily and they get priority to random requests that have nothing to do with what my company is all about.
  6. Don’t not include information about your band when pitching to me. I don’t have time to Google cutie_gurl55@hotmail.com to see if she’s a legit band. Always include links to the basic dot com where your music can be heard, Facebook and Youtube.
  7. Don’t ask me for sponsorship money or trade.
  8. Don’t be pushy (especially on the weekend!). I try my best to reply to every email I receive however the number of emails/demos I get versus the ones I’m able to actually take on are like 1/25.
  9. Be polite. If you do get a reply saying I’m too busy to take you on or that I don’t think that your music is the right fit, there’s not much more to it and is more of an answer most people in the music industry would ever send out.
  10. Keep rocking! Keep playing your music and pursuing your passion because ultimately if you’re good, people will find you and be interested. 92% of the clients I’ve ever worked with I’ve known of or seen in advance of working together. The other 8% are usually referrals from friends and colleagues I trust.